There is always confusion about the vector graphics vs bitmap. If you want to print a high-quality design then you must know the difference between these two types of formats. Vector graphics are scalable that we create from the shapes, curves, lines, and the combination of colours. Vector formats are EPS, WMF, SVG, and PDF; PDF is also a vector. However, it also depends on how you create a PDF originally. Vector graphics are not affected by the size, as these are constructed through shapes that can be redrawn. Therefore, these graphics are higher in resolution and you can alter such graphics easily.
Bitmap graphics are made from pixels in a grid and colours such as JPEG, PNG, and GIF. These are also called raster graphics. As bitmap graphics are based on the pixels, if you enlarge the graphic, pixels get to stretch that affects the image resolution. That’s why bitmap images are of poor quality when zooming in or out.
- It is easy to convert the vector graphic into a bitmap. But it is very difficult to convert the bitmap image into a vector graphic. For converting into a vector, an image needs to reconstruct from the scratch.
- Vector graphics are easy to alter or modify. For example, if you have a vector graphic full of text with shapes, and you just want to replace one word in the image, for a vector graphic it is easy without loosing any resolution. On the contrary, bitmap graphics are very difficult to edit, even a small change needs a lot of time and effort.
- Bitmap graphics are resolution-dependent, if you want to increase the size then you have to compromise with the quality. Whereas vector graphics are resolution-independent, reduce, or increase the size without having a quality loss.
For more information regarding vector and bitmap graphics read this article Vector graphics vs bitmap.
How I create my vector file?
Creating a vector image/file is not an easy task as it seems. If you want to create your own graphic, you must know how to use software such as Illustrator and Corel draw. You can also hire some professional or designer to create a good quality image for you. If you don’t have the right file, then don’t worry at all, We will design for you. Book an appointment with us and we will get back to you within 1 business day with an estimation.
Here are some tips while you are working on the graphics:
- If you save a file as a vector extension then it will not be a vector graphic. You have to start from scratch to create a vector graphic.
- All PDFs are not vectored files, It totally depends on the quality of your pdf and how originally PDF is generated.
- We can also print high-quality images such as JPEG or PNG. But the images should be high dimensional.